Brought to you by the
BC Aboriginal Child Care Society
banner1 banner2 banner3

How to open an RESP

It's easy to open an RESP. All you need is photo ID and a Social Insurance Number card for you and a SIN card and birth certificate for your child. You don't even need a bank account. Any parent, caregiver or family member can open an RESP for a child at a bank or a credit union. If you or your child does not have a SIN, we can help you to apply for one.

Opening an RESP in three easy steps:

STEP 1: Gather the documents you need:

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) for yourself AND for your child
  • Photo ID for yourself
  • Your child’s birth certificate

STEP 2: Put together a plan:

  • Make an appointment to meet with your bank or credit union

STEP 3: Get more information and open the RESP

  • Make sure to get information from your bank or credit union about your options
  • The bank or credit union will open the RESP for you and will arrange to get the money from the federal government to put into your RESP